Job ID 4213
Career Level Managerial
Experience 5 Years
The Candidate will focus on improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the health system on the federal level and across certain states. The candidate will work with the help of local and international partners and will directly feed into decision making, strategy formulation, advocacy for improved financing and demonstration of results/ benefits.
- Collaborate with state government officials, development partners and other stakeholders to support the State to strengthen its Primary Healthcare System.
- Act as the ‘on-the-ground’ person for Primary Healthcare and Private sector Engagement/collaborations
- Support SMOH, SPHCMB, HMB, and the DMCSA to implement concrete interventions to improve primary healthcare at scale in Lagos, but especially in low performing zones and LGAs (e.g. functional logistics systems, use of data, supportive supervision and community engagement).
- Provide technical and mentoring support to cross-cutting teams in the SMOH/SPHCMB/HMB/DMCSA; this includes supporting the development and functionality of all relevant working groups.
- Participate in regular primary healthcare management meetings and working groups in Lagos state.
- Provide targeted, concrete, technical and mentoring support to relevant focal points at the SPHCMB, DMCSA, and HMB.
- Support the state to coordinate and build linkages between relevant development partners supporting primary healthcare in Lagos state.
- Support the development of work plans across a diverse portfolio of primary healthcare priority areas, including activity costing, and M&E activities.
- Support Lagos state via its technical teams to implement its PHC under one roof agenda.
- Play the lead role in conducting economic analyses and providing evidence for public health initiatives.
- Coordinate the studies for analysis of the impact of user charges versus health insurance and its implications on health care utilization in facilities, with equity analysis focused on utilization by women, vulnerable groups and children for advocacy.
- Analyze the resource allocation pattern to the sector and suggest ways to enhance the value for money while also analyzing the adequacy of the resource allocation, especially for drugs and maintenance.
- Provide project management support for various programs being implemented by the Ministry of Health and contribute to identifying bottlenecks and corrective steps to achieve the expected outcomes.
- Support the Ministries of Health to build a business case for health including conducting cost-effectiveness and/or cost-benefit analysis, modelling the impact of investments on mortality, morbidity and health status as well as benefits outside the health sector including education, economic productivity, security etc.
- Support the strategic planning unit in conducting scenario modelling to visualize likely direction and magnitude of changes resulting from proposed reforms, reveal crucial trade-offs associated with choices and estimate the cost implications of reform initiatives.
- Take an active role in monitoring and evaluation of projects and provide feedback to the team on the progress of various components- the achievements and slow-moving areas. This would include updating the monitoring indicators of projects on a regular basis based on the project data and studies; preparing reports based on the information generated by projects for policy purposes as well as to strengthen the information collection methods on a regular basis.
- Provide periodical reports on the progress and status of all assigned tasks.
- Strong economic, statistical and econometric skills, including experience with detailed, high-level data analysis and sampling Sound communication and technical writing skills
- Good knowledge of the Nigerian and state health system and key health system actors.
- Possession of cognate experience in providing technical assistance to government at national or sub-national levels is an advantage
Criteria for Candidates
- Advanced public health/health economics degree and at least 5 years in public health management and/or health systems strengthening with a significant portion of this time focused on the public health sector.
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively coordinate organizations, and expertise in navigating and strengthening relationships among development organizations.
- Deep understanding of the Nigerian health system and of federal and state health policy, with on-the-ground experience.
- Deep understanding of the Primary Health Care Under One Roof policy—preferably with implementation experience of the policy.
- Extensive experience with large-scale health systems strengthening interventions, particularly in the public sector – including multiple approaches to strengthening that range from intervention and sectoral-specific.
- Significant experience in strategic planning, organizational development, change facilitation and process management in the health sector.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in unstructured, high-pressure, fast-paced environments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience working remotely with a decentralized team.
- Experience in proposal writing and review.
- Robust, adaptable problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to learn on-the-job quickly and navigate ambiguous and complex processes flexibly.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and execution of large-scale projects, including budget and activity planning.
- The ability to stay calm and poised under pressure and to remain focused on an evolving and dynamic environment.
- Track record of building strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders including implementing partners, donors, and officials at all levels of government.
- Demonstrated commitment to core values, mission, and programs and to serving our grantees and the people of Nigeria.
- Excellent written and oral skills. English fluency essential.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft word, excel, PowerPoint and internet applications.
- Candidate should be open to travelling outside Lagos especially to the Headquarters in Abuja.